Saturday, February 27, 2016

Series ~ Fiction ~ Mystery

Now for the last genre of series books I will cover...but not the last list.  After browsing my shelves for fiction series, I realized that it would be a ridiculously long list.  So I've decided to sub-divide it into categories.  The first I will tackle will be mysteries.  These  books are probably the most sought after in my library.  Everyone loves a good "whodunit."  Here are some your children (or you) might enjoy.

We will start with the most obvious.  The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew have thrilled young readers for decades with their mystery escapades.  I've been told that newer versions have been revised with less desirable character qualities so you might want to search out older editions

I still have the exact volume of Trixie Belden that my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Elkins, gave me as an award for perfect attendance in  1972.  This book set me on a path of reading voraciously.  Many in my library have rediscovered Trixie and her friends as they have adventures and solve mysteries.

A few years ago, a new family came into my library.  Young 9 year old Cara asked if I had a series of books called The Happy Hollisters.  Her father had devoured them as a boy and he wanted to share them with his children.  She was thrilled to find I had several and she and many others have enjoyed them again and again.

Another popular series for children is The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner.  Four orphans siblings living in a boxcar, solve fun mysteries.  It's important to note that there are dozens of Boxcar Children titles but only the first 19 were written by Warner.

The Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Hope is another wholesome vintage series featuring child mystery solvers.  This link takes you to 15 titles for Kindle for only 99 cents.

Cherry Ames by Helen Wells is yet another older mystery series.  Follow along with Nurse Ames on her mysterious adventures.

Encyclopedia Brown is a boy detective who has been thrilling young readers for many years.  These are great for reluctant-reader boys.

Nate the Great is a favorite boy detective series for beginning readers.  When my oldest son, now 25, was learning to read, he devoured these fun titles.

What would a list of mysteries be without the legendary Sherlock Holmes and his loyal companion, Dr. Watson?

Dorothy Sayers is best known in the homeschooling world as friend to C.S. Lewis and Tolkien as well as her thoughts on the classical Trivium.  However she is also famous for her excellent mystery writing.  Lord Peter Wimsey is featured in both novels and short stories.

It seems some of the greatest minds contributed the most intriguing mystery stories.  G.K Chesterton's endearing Father Brown mysteries are filled with both wit and literary power.

If you love history and mystery, you shouldn't miss the Brother Cadfael  titles by Ellis Peters.  Set in medieval England and Wales, this exciting series is addicting.  There are many titles in this series and should be read in order.

There are so many mystery series, I'm sure I've missed some favorites.  Please share in the comments any you have enjoyed.  Choose a good mystery and match your wits with some of the best crime solvers.


12 comments:

  1. What fun to read about some of these series that my boys loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy finding past favorites as well, Michele.

      Delete
  2. We are mystery lovers around here! This is a great list! Thanks so much for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun list! As a child, I also enjoyed two of Enid Blyton's British mystery series for kids, The Famous Five and The Secret Seven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Enid Blyton! I knew I'd forget someone. And she was such a prolific writer, too. Thanks for adding her to the list.

      Delete
  4. My son loves The Boxcar Children right now! And my husband and I are huge fans of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries -- we read them aloud together as a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son devoured Boxcars and is now into Happy Hollisters. How fun that you and your hubby read aloud together!

      Delete
  5. The Brother Cadfael looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother in law found a huge lot of the old Nancy Drew books at a garage sale, and my oldest daughter loves them. They are so much better than the junk they want our teens to read now! I have always allowed my children to free read whatever books they choose, but I really want to weed some of the junk out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, love those garage sale finds! Nice score! Yes, it's quite appalling what they market to our children nowadays. Thankfully there are good books out there. You're a good mom to seek them out.

      Delete